Review: Shiseido IBUKI Refining Moisturizer + IBUKI Softening Concentrate

Friday, May 27, 2016

Hello~! It's almost been two months since I last posted. ㅠㅠ I graduated with a BA at the beginning of May and was busy finishing up my senior thesis, but that's all wrapped up now, so I can finally write blog posts without feeling guilty. Yay!!! Anyways, this time will be a short review on two products from Shiseido's IBUKI line: IBUKI Refining Moisturizer and IBUKI Softening Concentrate.

I've read pretty much only good things about Shiseido's IBUKI line, though this was all after I started using these products. I've been using the IBUKI Refining Moisturizer for over a year (since January 2015), but I only started using the IBUKI Softening Concentrate about three months ago. The Refining Moisturizer is often highlighted as the star product of this line, but I think I had a better immediate reaction to the Softening Concentrate. Then again, it was over a year ago that I started using the moisturizer, and I do remember having a really good initial reaction to that too...

Anyways! I buy both of these products from Sephora, which is convenient because I'm based in the U.S. The Refining Moisturizer is $45 before tax and the Softening Concentrate is $24 before tax.


Above are the ingredient lists from the boxes and below is what each bottle looks like with the cap off.


I like these a lot because one pump dispenses enough product for me to use on my whole face and neck. Below you can see one full pump of the Refining Moisturizer on the left and one full pump of the Softening Concentrate on the right. (The Softening Concentrate is a little hard to see because it's clear, but you can click the pictures to enlarge them.)


IBUKI Refining Moisturizer:
The moisturizer is very nice. It's not too thick or thin. I was looking for a moisturizer that would be good for night time use, since I use sunscreen/moisturizer in the morning. Since I came across this one, I have yet to switch to a new moisturizer.

Other reviewers have said that it makes their skin look a little oily, but I don't seem to have that problem. I use it as the last step in my skincare routine and it keeps my skin hydrated throughout the night. It doesn't have a very strong scent and it doesn't make my skin feel sticky.

What I don't like about this moisturizer is that it's a little more expensive than I want it to be. It sells at $45 for 2.5 fl oz. It lasts me five to six months using it once every day though, so I don't have to replace it that often.

IBUKI Softening Concentrate:
I LOVE this. It's not quite a toner, though I use it to replace the toner I used to use. I would categorize this product as a Japanese lotion (not to be mixed up with lotion as in the moisturizing cream) even though it was made for the non-Japan branch of Shiseido. To briefly sum it up, Japanese lotions are a hydrating step that soften the skin and prepare it for the next steps in the skincare routine. I'm not going to go into a longer explanation, since many other bloggers have done a wonderful job of it (for example, Japanese lotions are explained thoroughly here! And this blog is just amazing in my opinion).

Some people don't see the point in this step in the skincare routine, or they skip it completely, but this is my favorite part of my skincare routine! I smooth this over my skin after I shower and pat my face mostly dry, and then pat it in until it's absorbed. I was initially worried about using this, since it contains alcohol, and the smell of alcohol in it is a little strong, but it's not drying or irritating at all for me. The skin around and on my nose used to be dry and I used to have some blackheads there, but since I started using this, the skin there has smoothed out and the blackheads are going away.

I'm very, very content with this product. ( ♥ ◡ ♥ ) I started using it once a day in March and I have about a third of my first bottle left. Since the beginning of this week, I've started using it in the morning as well as at night.


In short, I really like both products. The Softening Concentrate is my favorite. Both products leave my skin feeling hydrated and don't make my skin oily. The Refining Moisturizer is a little expensive, but the Softening Concentrate is more affordable.

Would I buy them again? In short, yes! I've used the Refining Moisturizer for more than a year now and as I wrote above, I'm a big fan of the Softening Concentrate. The only reason I might stop buying these is to try out other products (e.g. the Hada Labo Gokujyun Hyaluronic Acid Lotion that I ordered a few days ago). But if I don't like the new products I try, then I'm definitely coming back to these.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram