Review: The Face Shop Acne Solution Foam Cleansing

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

There's a The Face Shop Store in the state I live in, so I used to buy their products often to check them out. (I control myself a little better nowadays, haha.) Prior to studying abroad in South Korea in the summer of 2014, I only used Etude House cleansers. Right before I studied abroad, I received a bunch of samples for The Face Shop's Acne Solution Foam Cleansing from The Face Shop at home, and because I liked it so much, I bought a bottle from Korea before I came back home. I continued to use this cleanser until March of this year (2016). I only stopped because I wanted to start trying out some Japanese foaming cleansers. (If you can't tell by now, once I find something I mostly like and does what it's supposed to do, I use it for a long time.)

At the time that I used this cleanser, I wasn't yet using the double cleansing method (oil cleanser first, then a foaming cleanser) in my skin care routine. Instead, I used makeup removing wipes and then followed up with this cleanser in the shower. It worked well and helped to remove the makeup that didn't come off with the wipes.

I'm not sure how much I bought this bottle for, but the Korean The Face Shop website lists it at ₩9,000 which is between $7 and $8 USD. I got my bottle from The Face Shop where I live, so it was probably around a few dollars more.

Since this isn't a brand new bottle (I bought it some time last year), I thought I'd do a little bit of research to make sure that The Face Shop didn't change the formula, the packaging, or both. I looked at a few reviews in addition to the Korean The Face Shop site and found that the writing and information on the front side of the bottle changed a little bit, so it doesn't look exactly like the bottle my picture anymore. But, after a little more research, I found that the ingredients are pretty much identical.

Below is the list of ingredients from The Face Shop's page for the Acne Solution Foam Cleansing


Here is my translation of this list: Water, Myristic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylene Gylcol, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Beeswax, PEG-6, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Poloxamer 184, Triclocaraban, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

And here is the list of ingredients on the back of the bottle I have:


The only difference I spotted in the ingredients was that The Face Shop's site listed PEG-6 as an ingredient, but the bottle lists PEG-75 in its place.

I realized a little late that there are parabens in the ingredients. I would prefer that there weren't any, but oh well.

Below is what the cap looks like opened. The quality of this bottle isn't as good as some cleansers I've purchased after this one, but it's not too bad. The cap on the bottle that I currently own is a little loose and doesn't close as tight as I'd like, but I never had this problem with the previous bottles I bought.


Below on the left you can see the product on my slightly wet hand. On the right, the product has been lathered a little bit. I wet my other hand and rubbed both of my hands together before I took the picture.


I didn't lather it up for too long, but you don't need very much product to get a good amount to wash your face with.

As I stated earlier, it removes remaining makeup quite well. I never used it as my sole makeup remover and made sure to remove some of my makeup with makeup removing sheets first. Immediately after washing this off my face, my skin feels squeaky clean (kind of unpleasant in my opinion), but after that my skin doesn't feel particularly tight or irritated. I didn't feel like the cleanser was stripping my skin either.

The scent isn't too strong and it doesn't linger either. I actually really like how it smells. I don't know how to describe it besides light and fresh. Usually scents don't bother me too much unless they are too strong and/or they have that strong flowery perfume smell.

As for "Acne Solution," this cleanser did slightly better than the cleansers I'd used before it, but it didn't prevent me from acne problems (not that I expected that from just one product alone, HAHA). My breakouts tend to be hormonal, though, so it's hard to prevent them in the first place.


In short, this is an okay foaming cleanser. It makes my skin feel squeaky clean at first, but not tight or irritated at all. It's scented, but the scent isn't too strong. It's cheap and it removes remaining makeup well.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. It's a good cleanser, but I want to try out other foaming cleansers. (I should note that I did continue to buy this cleanser for around two years though!)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram